Pink Class – Spring 2 overview
I hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays and are looking forward to the next half term. Read on to find out what we will be up to.
Read, Write, Inc: The children were assessed before the half term holidays and have been placed in the correct reading level group. Read, Write, Inc lessons will continue daily. The more frequently your child reads at home, the quicker they will progress through the levels and become a fluent reader.
English: Our English unit this half term is called 'Amazing Birds' where the children will be learning about non-fiction book and creating their own information sheet about owls. After that they will be reading 'The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark' and create their very own chapter of the book.
Maths: This half term we will cover: money, multiplication and division, length, addition and subtraction, 2D and 3D shape, fractions, position and direction.
Science: In Science we will be exploring the properties of materials and the different uses these materials have in everyday life. We will be identifying and comparing the suitability of a variety of everyday materials, finding out how materials can be changed by squashing, bending, twisting and stretching and how some materials can be found naturally; whilst others must be made. We will be completing investigations to discover what the best materials will be for specific purposes.
History: In History we will be looking at significant black people with a particular focus on the cricket legend Learie Constantine and in what ways he is significant?
DT: In DT we will be looking at moon buggies and the children will design and create their very own moving vehicle.
RE: This half term we are looking at ‘Easter. How do Symbols help us understand the story? signs and symbols’. The aim of this unit is to:
- give children an understanding that symbols are pictures or objects with a deeper meaning and a story to tell.
- extend pupils knowledge of the details of the Easter story.
- develop pupils’ understanding of the importance of Easter and the concept of salvation.
Computing: In computing we will be completing the ‘spreadsheets’ unit. To review the work done in 2Calculate in year 1.
• To revise spreadsheet related vocabulary.
• To use some 2Calculate tools that were introduced in year 1.
PE: In PE this half term we are learning about games using a Net & Wall (Tennis). We will also be learning about Fundamental Movement Skills.
PSHE: In PSHE we will be learning about Relationships with a focus on Families and Friendships. We will discuss:
· How to be a good friend
· About different ways that people meet and make friends
· Strategies for positive play with friends.
· About what causes arguments between friends.
· How to positively resolve arguments between friends.
· How to recognise, and ask for help, when they are feeling lonely or unhappy or to help someone else.