Read Write Inc
We implement Read, Write Inc in Reception, Year One and Two. In the RWI lessons the children learn to read accurately and fluently with good comprehension. They learn to form each letter, spell correctly, and compose their ideas step-by-step. Throughout the programme, children learn the English alphabetic code: the 150 + graphemes that represent 44 speech sounds. They rapidly learn sounds and the letter, or groups of letters, they need to represent them.
Children learn to:
- read new sounds and review previously taught sounds;
- sound out the names of characters and unfamiliar words;
- understand the meaning of new words;
- read the story with accuracy.
- read the words in the story speedily;
- track the story, 'jumping in' when the teacher hesitates;
- read the story with increased speed.
- predict the outcome, after listening to a story introduction;
- discuss and compare key moments in the story;
- read the story with a storyteller's voice;
- answer questions about the story;
- read the same story at home;
- build background knowledge, ready to read the next Read, Write Inc storybook.