Pink Class - Autumn 2 overview
I hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays and are looking forward to the next half term. Read on to find out what we will be up to.
Read, Write, Inc: The children were assessed before the half term holidays and have been placed in the correct reading level group. Read, Write, Inc lessons will continue daily. The more frequently your child reads at home, the quicker they will progress through the Read, Write, Inc levels and become a fluent reader.
English: This term our key text is ‘The Way Home for Wolf’ by Rachel Bright and illustrated by Jim Field. This story is about a wolf cub called Wilf who doesn’t want help from anyone. Whatever it is he can do it all by himself. But when he finds himself lost and alone in the chill of the Arctic night, Wilf discovers that sometimes we all need a helping hand from a friend.
Maths: This half term we will cover: addition and subtraction; 2D and 3D shapes; Counting, Multiplication and Sorting; Statistics; Fractions; Capacity/Volume, Money and Time.
Science: In Science we will be finding out what humans need to survive as well as what we need to stay healthy, covering food, exercise, hygiene and medicine.
History: In our history lessons we will be exploring local history. Our key questions include:
- Did my school always look like it does today?
- What might my school have been like a long time ago?
- How can we find out about what our school was like in the past?
- What are the similarities and differences between our school now and a long time ago?
- What games did children used to play in the school yard?
Religious Education: Our RE unit this half term is Christmas: Why was the birth of Jesus such good news?
Key questions include:
- What difference did this news make to the world?
- How is this good news told today?
- What do angels look like?
- How is this good news celebrated today?
Design Technology: Later this half term we will be making Christmas puppets. We will explore existing products, learn how to join materials in different ways. We will design and make our own Christmas puppets. We will then sell them as part of our Enterprise week.
Physical Education: Our units this half term are gymnastics and invasion games. We will also have a dance lesson each week with Helen, our dance specialist.
Computing: In computing we will be completing the ‘Questioning’ unit on Purple Mash. This unit is designed to help children learn about the importance of phrasing questions and that certain data handling resources are limited in the answers they can provide.
PSHE: In PSHE we will be learning about ‘Money and Work’. We will learn:
- What money is and its different forms
- How money can be kept and looked after
- About getting, keeping, and spending money
- That people are paid money for the job they do
- How to recognise the difference between needs and wants
- How people make choices about spending money, including thinking about needs and wants
Music: In Music we will be learning the songs for our school nativity.