Topics this year:
Autumn 1: This Is Me!
Autumn 2: Let's Celebrate!
Spring 1: Under The Sea
Spring 2: Real Life Superheroes
Summer 1: Spring Into Life!
Summer 2: Once Upon A Time...
The Early Years Foundation Stage is split into 7 areas, 3 prime and 4 specific.
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Art and Design
We assess the children in these 7 areas at the end of their Reception year to complete they Statutory EYFS Profile.
The Characteristics of Effective Learning (CoEL) are a vital part of the EYFS curriculum. The CoEL cover the different ways in which children learn.
In class we link each of the 9 CoEL styles of learning to a Mr Men or Little Miss character. When we have observed a child showing a particular style of learning we give them a sticker with the corresponding character and they move their face on our CoEL board in the classroom. We do this to support the children in understanding how they each individually learn.
Each of the 9 styles of learning fall under three main categories, below the CoEL's are listed with their corresponding Mr Men or Little Miss Character.
Playing and Exploring
- Finding out and exploring (Mr Nosey)
- Playing with what they know (Little Miss Curious)
- Being willing to 'have a go' (Mr Brave)
- Being involved and concentrating (Mr Busy)
- Keeping on trying (Mr Bump)
- Enjoying achieving what they set out to do (Mr Happy)
Creating and Thinking Critically
- Having their own ideas (Mr Clever)
- Making links (Little Miss Brainy)
- Choosing ways to do things (Mr Adventure)